I have a 604-8G's in OB's. I am very happy with my set up.
Recently, I am toying the idea of getting another pair or a pair of 605's and configure it as follows since I already have 1 pair of un-use original 612C cabs that I can refurbish and plug the stock XO cut outs.
I am thinking of using the 604's woofer section only and getting a 511 horns (or a custom made horns) to sit on top of the cabs. My question is, will my idea fly? What are the things I need to consider if I am going to implement such configutation?
Thanks and I really appreciate all your inputs.
Best regards,
Abe
QNME In Retro!
I don't understand why you would want to buy Duplex's and then only use the woofer...... why not buy a pair of 416's or 515's?
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
With rising on axis response horns such as the exponential, you want its center-line at least at average ear height for the app and as much as ~15 deg. above it depending on the XO's acoustic phasing to get the flattest response over the widest BW (assuming no HF boost EQ). If the horn is mounted externally, then erring on the side of too tall allows fine tuning by tilting the horn down as required.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Abe,
Why don't you go three way with what you want to do. I always wanted to do it with 828 cabinets with a big driver/511e. If nothing else get the 605's. You'll be one stray speaker away from 5 channel.
Keith
MM, Licorne, Keith,
Thanks very much for the explanations and suggestions. I really appreciate your inputs. I will get the 604 pairs and report back.
regards,
Abe
QNME In Retro!
Bookmarks